Help diagnose disease, guiding your doctor during certain treatment procedures. Some fluoroscopy procedures may be performed as outpatient procedures while the patient is awake – for example, upper gastrointestinal series to examine the esophagus, stomach and small intestine, or a barium enema to examine the colon.
It shows a continuous X-ray image on a monitor, and used in a wide variety of examinations and procedures to diagnose or treat patients. Such as:
- Barium X-rays and enemas (to view the gastrointestinal tract)
- Catheter insertion and manipulation (to direct the movement of a catheter through blood vessels, bile ducts or the urinary system)
- Placement of devices within the body, such as stents (to open narrowed or blocked blood vessels)
- Angiograms (to visualize blood vessels and organs)
- Orthopedic surgery (to guide joint replacements and treatment of fractures)